SWI NEWS: Tue, Jun 19, 2012 29 Sivan, 5772
Four Palestinians killed in IAF Gaza bombings
Photo: REUTERS The Israel Air Force struck targets in the Gaza Strip on Monday in a series of airstrikes against what the military said were Islamic Jihad operatives engaged in anti-Israel terror activity. The first airstrike occurred in the early afternoon just hours after the attack from the Sinai which killed an Israeli construction worker. IDF sources said that the strikes were not connected to the attack.
In the first strike, an IAF aircraft targeted a motorbike, killing two Islamic Jihad men who were part of a terror cell responsible for recent shooting attacks along the border. In late May, an IDF officer and soldier were shot and wounded by a sniper and last week, shots were fired at an Israeli farmer working in his field near the border. The Palestinian Ma’an News Agency identified the men as Muhammad Shabat and Ismael Abu Ouda in their 20s. It said that both were members of Islamic Jihad's Al-Quds Brigades and were on their way to perpetrate an attack against Israel. The second airstrike took place in the evening when aircraft bombed a group of Palestinians, who the military said were preparing to launch a rocket into Israel in the northern Gaza Strip. Two Palestinians, both believe to be Islamic Jihad operatives, were killed. Following the airstrikes, the IDF continued to maintain a high alert along the border with Gaza in expectation that Islamic Jihad will try to retaliate to the killing of four of its operatives.
DEBKAfile Special Report June 18, 2012, 8:31 PM (GMT+02:00)
Middle East military tensions around Syria shot up again Monday, June 18, with the news reported by the semi-official Iranian news agency Fars that a joint Russian-Chinese-Iranian exercise is to take place in Syria. It was described as “the biggest of its kind ever staged in the Middle East” with 90,000 personnel, 400 air planes and 900 tanks taking part. As part of its preparations, Beijing is reported to have asked Egyptian authorities to permit the passage through the Suez Canal in late June of 12 naval ships heading for the Syrian port of Tartus, where Moscow maintains a naval and marine base. debkafile reported earlier this week that Russian naval vessels with marines on board were heading for Tartus. The Iranian media did not itemize their contribution to the joint exercise. debkafile stresses that this would be the first time that substantial Russian and Chinese military strength has ever been deployed in Syria or anywhere else in the Middle East. It means that the two powers are prepared to parade their unabashed partnership with the Iranian and Syrian armies for the shared purpose of obstructing US-European-Arab military intervention in Syria. A large-scale Russian and Chinese military presence in the embattled country would expect to deter the United States from leading a military operation against Bashar Assad and his regime. No date was attached to the report but the exercise may possibly take place before the end of the month The large-scale maneuver was announced in Tehran on the first day of the nuclear crisis talks in Moscow between Iran and the six world powers, their third attempt to resolve the crisis by diplomacy. However, Russian and Iranian sources close to the talks were pessimistic about progress. An Iranian delegation member complained the atmosphere was harsh and unconstructive. A Russian source saw no way of bridging US-led Western differences with Tehran when the parties reconvene Monday. debkafile also notes that the big joint Russian-Chinese-Iranian exercise “at sea, air and land on Syrian soil,” ws released for publication shortly before US President Barack Obama was due to meet Russian President Vladimir Putin at the G-20 summit in Mexico.
Montag, 18. Juni 2012 | Ryan JoneA firefight that left three people dead erupted along the Israel-Egypt border on Monday, just two days after Sinai-based terrorists fired two medium-range missile into southern Israel. Around 6 AM Monday morning, a group of at least three terrorists crossed from the Egyptian Sinai into southern Israel and attacked a group of construction workers who were building a portion of the new border fence. One construction worker was killed and another seriously wounded in the attack. A team of IDF soldiers quickly responded to the scene, killing two terrorists and causing the others to flee. The army was still searched for the remaining terrorists at press time, and residents of southern Israel were warned to remain indoors. On Saturday, forces operating out of the Egyptian-controlled Sinai Peninsula fired two medium-range Grad missiles at targets in southern Israel. The missiles landed near the Negev town of Mitzpe Ramon and the Uvda Airfield, where Israel is mulling the construction of a new international airport. Both sites had never before been targeted by terrorist rocket fire. Around this time last year, a terrorist cell infiltrated southern Israel from the Sinai and murdered seven Israeli motorists and one army officer on the highway leading to Eilat. This week's attacks came as Egyptians were electing a new president for the first time since the fall of former dictator Hosni Mubarak. The leading candidate in the run-off presidential vote that took place over the weekend is Mohammed Mursi of the Muslim Brotherhood. Mursi has already declared victory, and Israel fears that with the Brotherhood in control of both Egypt's parliament and presidency, open war between the two nations is only a matter of time. Israeli Defense Minister Ehud Barak warned that the attacks from Sinai must be curbed. "Whoever is elected, we expect him to take responsibility for all of Egypt's international commitments, including the peace treaty with Israel and the security arrangements within Sinai, and to put a quick end to these attacks," Barak told reporters following Monday's attack. Erhalten Sie unseren täglichen, KOSTENLOSEN israel heute-newsletter per e-mail und bleiben Sie Tag für Tag über die Geschehnisse in Israel auf dem Laufenden!
IDF Armored Corps Moves to Southern Border
The IDF Armored Division moves closer to Israel's southern border following a terror attack Monday on contractors building a border fence.
By Chana Ya'ar
First Publish: 6/18/2012, 5:40 PM
ReutersThe IDF Armored Division has moved closer to Israel's southern border following a terror attack Monday on contractors building a border fence. A number of Merkava tanks were moved closer to the border with Egypt after two Palestinian Authority terrorists killed 36-year-old Said Phashpashe of Haifa, a father of four. A second worker was wounded as well. Golani troops clashed with the terror cell, killing the operatives. It is believed that a third terrorist may have also been involved, but could have escaped back into the Sinai Peninsula. The IDF later withdrew the tanks as soon as it was confirmed that the border was secured and no infiltrators remained on the Israeli side. Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu commented Monday the attack would not stop Israel from completing the security fence. "The attack was most likely aimed at Israeli citizens and against people who work on the security fence along the Egyptian border,” the prime minister pointed out. "This barrier is meant both to prevent terrorism and also to prevent the entrance of infiltrators. Its construction is of supreme national interest,” he said